Intro to Laser Cutting and Engraving Class
Always be sure to check out Classes and Events for the most current schedule.
Interested in using the SLO MakerSpace’s 100 Watt Laser Cutter and Engraver? Sign up for this 2-3 hour long class and you’ll learn the ins and outs of the machine, the software that runs it, and how to make a variety of different projects!
Specifically, this class will cover:
- Safety and components of the machine
- Preparing vector drawings and images for use with the laser cutter
- Testing your material to determine the best cutting and engraving parameters
- Using RDworks (laser software) to specify cutting and engraving parameters for the machine
- Setting up the machine and your material for cutting and engraving
- Common troubleshooting tips and tricks
You do not need to be a SLO MakerSpace member to take this class, though you will need to be a member to use the laser after you have taken the class. Because of the laser’s high power consumption and limited laser tube lifetime, usage is 50 cents per minute of operation time, which you must pay for on the honor system here. We also have commonly used materials for sale at the shop.
STUDENTS: Please bring your PAID receipt to class to show the Guru. Attendees without a proof of class purchase will be required to pay onsite and reimbursed when proof of payment is provided.